I know, I know – we have a couple days left of 2015, but I think it’s fair to say that we can stick a fork in this bad boy. All in all, I’m pretty happy with how the year ended. I got to spend a lot of time with friends, had some exciting happenings with work, and learned a lot more about what I’m looking for in a potential relationship (which was a theme threaded throughout my year – but that’s a whole separate post). Let’s get into the good stuff:
Neil’s Wedding #alliknowisyemo
I was really grateful to be a part of Neil’s big day, along with the rest of the group chat (which is now Team No Chill – it varies). We all traveled down to Greensboro, and the night before the wedding I got to have a bit of a night on the town with Chad and Caitlin which ended up being a riot. Pretty sure we went to just about every bar in town. The wedding festivities were also SO much fun! E did such an amazing job planning this with Neils and Shamelle, and it was a really incredible day.
Halloween is my second favorite holiday (only to 4th of July, duh) so I always try to do a lot of celebrating with fun costumes. This year was no different – I had a big crew together that dressed up like Beanie Babies which was a delightfully comfortable costume! I kicked off the day with brunch and the Cambridge Brewing Great Pumpkin Fest, which is something I’ve been meaning to go to for years. It was a lot of fun to go to that with my indoor soccer crew – really awesome event that I hope to go to again! After that, my squad (pictured above) and I hit up Slumbrew, Bantam, Karaoke (at least I think we did that), and a house party. Needless to say, I slept like a baby in my forever lazy that night.
Innovation Cider House Opening
I spent a lot of time in November in the Hudson Valley at the Innovation Cider House, which celebrated its grand opening. It was really amazing to see this come to life and I’m so excited for all of the great hard cider that is going to come out of there. If you’re looking for a great road trip in 2016, I highly recommend visiting the area (and visiting us, of course). I hope to return one day to kick some more ass at karaoke at Walden Lanes and explore more of the distilleries, cideries, and breweries in the area.
Ameral Family Thanksgiving
I want to extend a big thank you to the Ameral family for adopting me for Thanksgiving for the second year. Even though Molly (a hilariously naughty yellow lab) ate the turkey leg, it was a delicious meal. Frankie and Vanessa provided us with some bottles of Pretty Things to have a fond Thanksgiving farewell to one of our favorite breweries, and we enjoyed a few rounds of Head’s Up (which got pretty intense once Mrs. Ameral got some Fireball in her…). I’m already looking forward to next year!
Home for the Holidays
And last, but certainly not least, I went home to see family and friends for the holidays! Unfortunately I had a pretty annoying cold (which I’m still fighting), but I didn’t let that get me down! Christmas Eve is always a blast with my mom’s side – had a great craft beer tasting with my dad and uncles (a tradition I have more or less forced upon them for the past few years, but I think they enjoy it). The other big highlight was going to the Buffalo Bills vs. Cowboys game with my dad. Thanks to Traci for having us join your tailgate! It was an absolute blast. I did get the chance to see a lot of high school friends and a few college friends, which was great. You can always keep up over social media, but nothing really replaces the face time that you can get when you’re home.
I also got to spend a lot of time with my niece Bailee – I just can’t believe how big she is getting!
- Joining a kickball league – big thanks to Frankie and Vanessa for being the BEST coaches anyone could ask for. And thanks to Tyler for finally letting me be on the Sam Adams team!
- Sitting behind Elizabeth Warren at Black Mass – Chad and Caitlin can attest to how AMAZING this was for me. Direct quote: “I… CAN’T… BREATHE…”
- Spending lots of time at Slumbrew and Bantam – I’m glad our crew found a mini cidery/brewery crawl that we have repeated quite a few times in 2015. I have a feeling we will continue that on into 2016…
- Giving a talk about social media to a class at Tufts – I had the chance to give a presentation on what I do for a living and it was really fun! I hope to become an adjunct professor one day, so this was a great experience for me.
- 12 Brewers of Christmas Event at Mead Hall – this was a really fun event with a lot of folks in the beer industry. I got to try a lot of cool beers, see a lot of great people, and play lots of nudie photo hunt (at a different bar). Solid evening, terrible hangover the next day.
- #SamFam Bar Crawl – many of us at work have been traveling a lot this year so it has been really hard for us to get together as a group. Luckily we have the birth of Jess Infante and Justin Buck to celebrate at this time every year, so we resurrected the holiday bar crawl which was a total blast.